"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Emerson



Monday, September 6, 2010

"Dialogue"

Who would have thought that one of the most natural things we do in life is going to be what drives me mad as a writer.

Dialogue… Ugh!

The human is race is constantly speaking to one another, even if in the simplest fashion as a “Hi, how are you?”

So why is it that I seem to be having the most brutal time having two of my characters talk to each other? I stare at the computer screen just wishing that my Fairy Godmother will pop in and beat me over the head, hopefully knocking me unconscious, with her magic wand. Then use a little of that magic to write the dialogue for me.

Is that really too much to ask?

Well since it hasn’t happened yet, I have had to resort to finding assistance in other ways. I had a BPL meeting on Sunday, the first one I have been to in a month. Boy life gets busy. Anyways, so I brought my personal mountain size obstacle to the table for discussion and received some pretty sound advice.

Take a tape recorder and go to a few high school football games or go to the mall food court and people watch/listen to.

Luckily for me school has just started which means football games are just around the corner. I am going to tackle that one first to see what I can come up with and maybe, just maybe I can get out of going to the mall. Even saying that word gives me small goose pimples.

I just hope no one notices me carrying around a tape recorder, eavesdropping in on their conversations. That would definitely make for an awkward exchange in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment