"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Emerson



Saturday, April 17, 2010

British Literature

Again it has been a few days... or a week, which ever way you prefer to look at it, since I have posted last.

My WIP has not received the attention that it deserves, but some days writing is shoved to the side. Lately, many days.
I had my BPL writers group meeting last Sunday, there were only three of us that were able to attend... The other two weren't able to read any of the entries submitted, I only read one. So needless to say it was less than a productive critique session. However, it was still a great meeting. We discussed each others techniques in characterization, and what helps us come up with our ideas and plots. My secret of daydreaming while driving was uncovered... My advice for the day, don't be personal friends with someone in your group. Just an FYI, they tell on you.

Since our meeting was held at the local Barnes and Noble, my friend and I picked up a few books that peaked our interest., three of them being from the 19th century, Mansfield Park, The Scarlett Letter and Wuthering Heights. I have started Wuthering Heights and everyone I have spoken with about this book has said that they read it in high school. Now I assure you that I did attend high school, but for the life of me I do not remember ever reading this book.
The beginning was hard to get into, but by the fifth chapter, I think I have finally become hooked and intrigued by these characters. Mind you, I still do not understand some of the language being read, and at times I feel incompetent.

But I will read to the end.

Needless to day, I do not think I would be very successful at writing historical British fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment