"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Emerson



Thursday, April 22, 2010

Natures Inspiration




I was once asked what inspires me.

At the time I was unsure of the correct answer. I had never really put much thought into it. When an idea struck, or a feeling came over me, I just wrote.

Today my best friend and I took my daughter to the Botanical Gardens here in Fort Worth. We use my daughter as an excuse to go, (she needs the fresh air, she will love the pretty colors...). In reality, we are the ones giddy over getting to see the many arrays of flowers, wishing we had been given green thumbs. (We’d manage to kill dirt trying to plant something.)

During our visit, we were walking around the turtle pond when we noticed a shady looking building, almost hidden by trees and growth, with a sign in front posted Restricted. So of course we looked around to see if anyone was looking and quickly pushed the stroller, holding my daughter of course, and got as close as we could to take pictures. It was after the snapshots had been taken when we realized that the sign posted on the old stone building did not read Restricted… but in fact read Restrooms. (Maybe it is time for the both of us to visit the eye doctor.)

After a bout of laughing at ourselves, we looked around this wooded area set back far away from the pretty gardens and a scene played out in front of me. It was like writing magic.

I could see the character skulking in the murky darkness, watching his chosen victims as they walked hand in hand down the moonlit path.

Then I saw the teenage couple climbing over the fence, after hours, to have a midnight rendezvous in the fragrant flower beds. Then a storm blows in and they run for cover to this mysterious building only to find a killers lair where he keeps his trophy parts of his victims.

Hmmm, the possibilities.

The question was… Where do I get my inspiration from?
Well, I am beginning to think nature is what does it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment