"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Emerson



Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Importance of a Name

Who knew that searching for names could be mind boggling.
In the beginning of the process for my WIP, I spent weeks finding, using and discarding, until I found the perfect names for each of my characters.
While writing earlier today I realized that for my story plot to even be workable, each of the four important characters would not only need to keep their names that they have today, but they will each need a name for four different centuries. I continued my stride just putting in (new name) when I came upon a point where the name was needed.
Tonight I have spent the majority of my writing time researching the ideal names from the 17th Century, 18th Century, and 19th Century. Did you know that Bacon was a popular name during the 17th Century Ireland Era?
Me neither...
Needless to say, I have my glorious names and I am back on track once again.

1 comment: