"Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Emerson



Friday, March 12, 2010

Critiquing

I am a member of a small critique group, I refer to them as the BPL group. We meet on average twice a month and I look forward to these meetings with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.
Will they enjoy what I have written? Or will they hate it?
Each meeting ends with a sigh of relief when I leave with positive feedback, not once have they said my work has stunk, even when myself thinks that I could have done better.

But there are two sides to being a member of a critique group...

Not only do I have MY work read by others-- but I have to read others work as well. I do not enjoy this by any means. Don't get me wrong, I like the reading part, seeing what others have imagined, others who want to be published like me, and others who have been published as well.
No. I hate the critiquing part.I despise having to go into that meeting and face to face tell that person what mistakes I have found with what I have read.

I am a confident person, cocky even at times. But some how when it comes to these moments, I become a stuttering, naive, daft little girl.
One day I will walk in there being myself.
Outspoken and courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment